Our Sunday School program at St. Mark's has 3 distinct parts:
During the 9:00 service, children are allowed to spend time with our pastors every Sunday.
After Children's Time children are dismissed to Chapel in the Urban Life Center. All age groups gather in Chapel to sing, worship and give weekly offering to our sister parish in El Salvador.
Sunday School Instruction
After Chapel the children divide into their age appropriate classrooms. The classroom teachers prepare weekly lessons or quite often we gather all classes together to celebrate a special occasion.
All children are welcome to join us for Children's Time and Chapel. Classroom instruction is open to children over 3, or younger with parent.
- Rally Day: first Sunday after Labor Day, we celebrate returning to weekly worship at Sunday School.
- Reformation Sunday/Halloween Party: we learn about Martin Luther and the Reformation. Afterwards enjoy a Haunted House decorated by the older children.
- Christmas Pageant: Most children participate in our annual Christmas Eve Pageant. Younger children participate with parents.
- Homeless Shelter: we make "Stockings for the Homeless" as community service project every year after Christmas.
- Seder Celebration: Traditional Seder meal shared with all children, parents are welcome
- Palm Sunday: Children celebrate Palm Sunday-riding donkey into 11:00 service, reenacting the entrance of Jesus to Jerusalem.
No Sunday School on the following Sundays
- Christmas and New Years Sundays (2 weeks off)
- Easter Sunday
- Bay to Breakers Sunday (usually in May)
- Memorial Day through Labor Day weekends (summer vacation)
3. Volunteers & Teachers
We are very fortunate to have committed adults to lead Sunday School at St. Mark's:
- Gail Culp
- Jenny Hart
- Anna Hurley
- Charlene and Ralph Loen
- Susan and Jeff Sall